The Communications Associate (CA) is responsible for advancing CLRJ’s purpose, core goals and objectives through the development of digital and traditional strategies that support CLRJ’s programs and activities. The CA will work directly with and under the supervision of the Communications Director (CD), alongside CLRJ’s Digital and Social Media Coordinator (DSMC), and will support the creation of content & collateral, message testing, media readiness, and other communications strategies.
The CA will help develop materials, assist with campaigns, and provide graphic design support with the supervision of the CD, supporting CLRJ’s programs including policy, research, community organizing, and fundraising activities.
Principal Areas of Responsibility
- Research, write, and create issue area talking points.
- Draft press releases and make pitches to appropriate media outlets.
- Understand and seek media opportunities that elevate CLRJ’s work.
- Manage CLRJ’s blogging activities including the creation and/or coordination of content for CLRJ’s blog and other blog sites.
- Provide graphic design support for organizational collateral with the direction of (CD).
- Review analytics and online feedback / messages on posted content to improve CLRJ’s online communications.
- Help with the collection and organization of CLRJ’s creative assets (images, text, audio and video) so they’re available and ready for use by CD and DSMC primarily.
Skills and Qualifications
All CLRJ employees are expected to fully support the organization’s mission in their work. Any positions or work that runs counter to LGBTQ rights or Reproductive Justice – including the right to access abortion and contraception are likely to create a conflict of interest disqualifying an employee from working at CLRJ. All employees regardless of their position are required to support staffing events, public speaking or disseminating information about women’s right to access legal and safe abortion care and contraception, as assigned. It is also required that all employees use messaging that is developed by CLRJ’s Communications Team and that it is factual, evidence-based, and free of judgment or discrimination when talking about all Reproductive Justice issues, including LGBTQ rights, and the right to access abortion or contraception when working or otherwise representing CLRJ.
Because we are a mission-based organization both as to the educational services we provide and our advocacy work, employees may not work for (whether paid or unpaid) organizations who advocate for causes contrary to our mission while employed with us.
- Excellent research, written and verbal communication with a proven ability to target a range of audiences with cultural, linguistic, age, professional and literacy appropriateness.
- Adaptability and openness to learn new and changing media platforms and tools.
- Ability to create accurate and compelling content about a range of reproductive justice / social justice issues making clear connections to the organization’s mission, issue areas, and / or reproductive justice as a framework of change.
- Familiarity with design software such as Canva and/or Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to become familiar with social media management tools and analytics quickly.
- Proven commitment to Reproductive Justice or social justice issues.
- Photography and video skills are a plus.
- Creativity, passion for social justice, excellent interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Flexibility to work nights and / or weekends, occasionally.
- Valid California driver’s license and legally required car insurance, and access to a personal vehicle to be used to conduct CLRJ business strongly preferred.
- Spanish language proficiency (oral and written)
Location & Compensation
- This is a full-time, non-exempt position, 36 – 40 hours per week.
- The hourly wage is $24 per hour.
- Paid vacation, sick, and personal time. Twelve paid holidays, and 3-5 weeks paid office closure available at the discretion of the Executive Director.
- Excellent benefits package including: Medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance paid 100% by the organization
- Significant opportunities for professional development and growth.
- This position is based in California with some travel in state and nationally.
- The organization is based in Los Angeles, but all staff work remotely.
Interviews will be on a rolling basis beginning September 15th, 2023.