As a Latina/e-led reproductive justice organization, California Latinas for Reproductive Justice (CLRJ) works at the intersection of Reproductive Justice (RJ) with multiple issues and employs various strategies to advance system change. We continue to build out our community organizing strategy so that our work is more directly informed by and impactful to our communities. The RJ Community Organizer (CO) will work with program staff and community members on our community organizing efforts in Los Angeles County. The CO will work with the Program Team to integrate organizing tactics throughout our community education, leadership development, and civic engagement work to grow a broad base of Latina/e support for CLRJ’s policy advocacy priorities and the Reproductive Justice movement.
The RJ Community Organizer’s primary areas of work will be in relationship building and recruitment, campaign development and mobilization, leadership development, and voter engagement. They will co-lead the development and implementation of strategies to recruit a broad base of leaders and supporters for the organization, developing their leadership skills, and mobilizing them to advance CLRJ’s mission and policy campaigns.
The CO reports to the Director of Programs and works closely with the Program Team.
Organizing and Civic Engagement
- In collaboration with the Director of Programs and members of the Program Team, work to create, build, and carry out an organizing strategy to recruit and maintain an active base of Latina/e leaders in Los Angeles County.
- Conduct recruitment and consistent follow up to strengthen CLRJ’s supporters, identify local leaders, and build our base through door-to-door outreach, phone calls, tabling events, presentations, dissemination of promotional materials, and other outreach.
- Conduct outreach to and build relationships with stakeholders and community leaders in areas prioritized for base building.
- Hold effective one-on-one organizing meetings to move community members and volunteers to action.
- Engage Latinas/es from CLRJ’s base to demonstrate support for RJ issues and current policy campaigns.
- Work with the Communications team to align in-person organizing with digital engagement tactics.
- Consistently conduct one-to-one conversations with recruited supporters to identify opportunities for increasing their engagement.
- Develop accessible trainings for recruited Latinas/es to develop their skills as RJ advocates.
- Contribute to planning and implementing voter engagement activities, including canvasses and phone banks, as part of organizing and movement building strategies and to increase election participation.
- Develop organizing content and materials, including scripts, guides, flyers, training materials, pledge cards, etc.
- Conduct data input and evaluation as needed.
- Contribute to CLRJ’s development and fundraising activities, as needed.
- Support other CLRJ programs like Justice 4 Young Families and Speaking Story collection.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
All CLRJ employees are expected to fully support the organization’s mission in their work. Any positions or work that runs counter to LGBTQ rights or Reproductive Justice – including the right to access abortion and contraception, are likely to create a conflict of interest disqualifying an employee from working at CLRJ. All employees regardless of their position are required to support with staffing events, public speaking or disseminating information about people’s right to access legal and safe abortion care and contraception, as assigned. It is also required that all employees use messaging that is developed by CLRJ’s Communications Team and that it is factual, evidence-based, and free of judgment or discrimination when talking about all Reproductive Justice issues, including LGBTQ rights, and the right to access abortion or contraception when working or otherwise representing CLRJ.
- At least three years experience in community, labor, or other forms of grassroots organizing
- Demonstrated commitment to Reproductive Justice and empowering and developing Latina/e leadership
- Motivated self-starter who is able to learn and troubleshoot without heavy supervision
- Passion for social and reproductive justice
- Ability to work well under deadlines and high pressure situations
- Excellent listener and troubleshooter
- Excellent organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Strong social, written, and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing in English and Spanish
- Willingness to participate in a hybrid work model: both in person and from home.
- Must be able to secure reliable transportation to work sites; a valid Driver’s License and legally required car insurance, and access to personal vehicle to be used to conduct CLRJ business is essential
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic organizing campaigns
- Data input, organization and management skills- familiarity with Powerbase or CiviCRM is a plus
Location & Compensation
- This is a full-time, non-exempt position, 36 – 40 hours per week.
- The hourly wage is $25-27 per hour.
- Paid vacation, sick, and personal time. Twelve paid holidays, and 3-5 weeks paid office closure available at the discretion of the Executive Director.
- Excellent benefits package including: Medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance paid 100% by the organization
- Significant opportunities for professional development and growth.
- This position is based in California with some travel in state and nationally. The organization is based in Los Angeles, but all staff work remotely.